Growth and Development
|These questions are from the test bank. Some questions have multiple parts.|
Short Answer Essay
1. What are the common methods that government can help foster research and development?
2. What is the liberal view for intellectual property rights?
3. What is the mercantilistic view for intellectual property rights?
4. What is the structuralist view for intellectual property rights?
5. What happens if intellectual property rights are weak?
6. Please describe using at least one sentence each of the following social characteristics of Japan:
7. Please describe using at least one sentence each of the following economic characteristics of Japan:
8. What was the Keiretsu important for Japan's economic development?
9. The Japanese economy entered into a period of stagnation starting in the 1990s. Please describe in one sentence or more each of the following:
10. Economists have recommended the following cures for the Japanese society. Explain using at least one sentence or more why these recommendations will not work.
11. What are the three methods government uses to privatize assets like apartments, factories, and land?
12. What happens when government removes the price controls?
13. What were the problems with the large Soviet bureaucracies, when they planned the economy?
14. What are benefits and problems for Russia's transition to capitalism?
15. How did the Communist Party in China incorporate market reforms into their society?
16. What kind of economic policies do the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, and World Trade Organization recommend?
17. What is import substitution?
18. What is export oriented growth?
19. What is the role of women in Less Developed Countries (LDCs)?
20. What are the characteristics of countries that export petroleum and other valuable minerals?