|These short answer questions are from the exam bank. These questions reflect the style of the professor.|
Topic 1 - History of Computers
1. Please define the following terms:
2. Please give an example of a monumental calendar built by an ancient civilization:
(i). Why are equinoxes and solstices so important to know?
3. Which microprocessor is the most powerful?
A. 4-bit microprocessor.
4. Why are militaries interested in computers? Computers perform at least three functions for a military.:
5. How many transistors does an Intel Core 2 Duo have?
A. 3.1 million transistors.
6. Which corporation invented the windows operating system?
(i). What was the computer's name?
7. What is Moore's Law?
(i). Is there a limit to Moore's Law?
8.Which functions and tasks could ENIAC perform?
(i). What was the purpose of ENIAC?
9. How many transistors does an Intel Pentium have?
A. 3.1 million transistors.
10. What does 32-bits mean? Are more bits better?
Topic 2 - History of the Internet
1. Who invented the internet? How did the internet revolutionize communications at that time?
2. What is a router and what does it do?:
3. What is an IP and domain name?
4. Is it possible to run out of IP addresses?
5. We just ran out of IP addresses and now the new address for a website is 126.96.36.199.23.256. How many bits (or bytes) is this IP address?
6. Does any government control the internet? Who are the W3C and Internet2?
7. What is a web browser and URL? Which browser is currently the most popular?
8. What is a micro browser?
9. Please list and define three types of websites.
10. What is a search engine? Which is the most popular search engine in 2010?
Topic 3 - Computer Hardware
1. What does the acronym CPU stand for and what is its purpose?
2. What is the Northbridge chip?
3. What is a Southbridge chip?
4. What does the acronym RAM stand for and what is its purpose?
5. Why are programs loaded from the hard drive to the RAM?
6. You have two microprocessors. They both operate at 2.5 GHz and are from the same company. However, one processor is new while the other is five years old. Which processor would you expect to be faster. Why is this true?
7. Which two companies dominate the microprocessor industry? Give an example of each processor from each company.
8. Why is it difficult for manufacturers to make microprocessors with speeds greater than 3.5 GHz? How do manufacturers get around this limitation?
9. What are the RISC (or ARM) microprocessors? Where would you find these microprocessors?
10. You have the motherboard below: What are parts A, B, C, D, and E?
Topic 4 - Multimedia
1. What is the difference between lossless and lossy compression?
2. Out of the list of picture formats, which formats are good for webpages? Why are these formats better?
3. You have picture files, where you will keep editing the pictures over time. Which picture formats are good for repeated editing?
4. You have a bitmap picture with dimensions 400 by 400 pixels with 24-bit color (or 3 bytes). How large is your file size for these bitmaps?
5. What is the difference between a MP3 and a WAV file? Which compression type do these formats use?
6. What are analog-to-digital converters and digital-to-analog converters?
7. What is 32-bit color, or RBGA color? Define A really well.
8. You have a video that is 30 minutes long, the frame is 600 by 400 pixels, uses 24-bit color, and a bit rate of 30 frames per second. How large is your video if it is not compressed?
9. What is a CODEC? Do people and companies own rights to a CODEC?
10. Using the picture below, what are the I, B, and P frames?
Source: Wikipedia.org by Petteri Aimonen