1. Cook rice in pot with two cups of water and cover, or use rice cooker. Allow to cool before adding to casserole.
2. Saute and soften onions and celery in pot with a little oil. Add mushroom soup with 1/2 can of water, thyme, black pepper and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
3. Add broccoli and most of cheese and simmer another 5 minutes.
4. Slowly add cooked rice and blend until rice is evenly coated with mixture. Form a hole in the center and add a little water and simmer another 5 minutes.
5. Stir casserole and add cheese on top. It is ready when cheese has melted.
Tip: Add freshly diced thyme for more flavor. Fresh herbs depart more flavor than dried herbs.
Tip: I rarely use celery. I dice and clean celery two stalks at a time and freeze in a plastic bag.