1. Brown the chicken on all sides in a pot with a tablespoon of oil.
2. Add water, cover, and boil chicken for an hour. This makes an excellent broth. Then let the broth cool. Clean and dice the chicken into small pieces.
3. In a fresh pot, brown the onions. Add three cups of broth to the pot. If you have less broth, then add water until it equals three cups. Add the vegetables, rice, chicken, soup, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil under low heat.
4. Add the mixture to a 12" x 8" hallow baking dish. Cover and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes or until done.
5. For the last 15 minutes, uncover and sprinkle cheese on top.
Tip: One may simmer the casserole in a covered pot until the rice absorbs most the liquid. Then top with cheese.
Tip: You may add celery to complement the flavor of the dish.