1. Place the potatoes in pot of water for several hours to hydrate them. Clean the skins well and cut into large chunks. I find the dish looks more appealing than shredded potatoes.
2. Cut the chicken sausage diagonally and sauté in a large pot over medium heat. Add diced onions. For this step, you are browning the sausage and onions to caramelize them and not cook them.
3. Add potatoes to the large pot. Stir once or twice. Do not cook the potatoes, just brown them a little. Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
4. Add a 1/2 can of water, and salt and black pepper. Usually a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of pepper. The soup is already loaded with salt.
5. Cover with a lid and simmer under very low heat between 20 and 30 minutes. The mixture should boil softly. You may add another 1/2 can of water to get the desired consistency. Stir the casserole only once or twice carefully. Dish is ready when potatoes are soft.
Tip: You may add sour cream and other cheeses to the dish.