1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Cook ground beef and sausage over medium heat until brown; drain. Stir in tomato puree, tomato paste, sugar, salt, garlic, black pepper, and seasonings. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. For thick tomato paste, add four cans of water. For watery tomato paste, just add two cans of water.
3. Meanwhile, mix the cottage cheese, half the Parmesan cheese and eggs.
4. While the sauce is still hot. I spoon a little sauce on bottom of pan. Add a layer of noodles. Spoon another layer of sauce and noodles. Gently spread the cheese filling and add another layer of noodles. Then repeat with red sauce and another layer of noodles.
5. Bake in an oven for 30 minutes covered. Then sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese on top and cook for additional 15 minutes, uncovered.
Tip: You may replace the cottage cheese with cream cheese or ricotta cheese.
Tip: A toaster oven can cook the lasagne in half the time.