1. In a 3 quart saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and placed to the side.
2. Cook the onion in drippings until tender but not brown. Return bacon to saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
3. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Variation: Brown 1 pound ground beef with the bacon. Also, add a can of whole tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 tablespoon chile powder and 3 small cloves garlic (crushed and sautéed with onion).
1 pound minced beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 can red kidney beans
1 can kernel corn
1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of water
Crushed tortilla chips for the topping (optional)
1. In a large pot, brown beef with onion. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer about 30 minutes.
2. Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips and sour cream.
Tip: Sprinkle hot pepper sauce to "heat it up."
Tip: Replace the ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken for a healthier choice.