1. Prepare the sauce the night before making this dish. Finely mince the garlic and jalapeños, and mix with the vinegar, soy sauce, and lime juice. You may add the sliced onions to the sauce to soften the onions.
2. Cut the tofu into rectangles of 1/4 inch thick. Deep fry the tofu until golden brown on both sides. After tofu cools, cut into narrow strips.
3. Bring a pot of water to boil and add the rice noodles. Be careful! Rice noodles cook very fast and are ready within 5 minutes. I like the noodles a little firm. Strain the water and place the rice noodles in a large salad bowl and let cool. I drizzle a little olive oil to stop the noodles from sticking. Then I add the sauce.
4. I julienne the carrots and the cucumber using an Asian shredder, available from Asian grocery stores. If you julienne correctly, the carrots and cucumber will look like angel hair pasta.
5. Thoroughly mix the bean sprouts, tofu, carrots, and cucumbers with the rice noodles. Sprinkle peanuts on top.
6. Refrigerate the salad, before consuming. This is a cold, but delicious salad.
Note: You can mix and remove any vegetables. For example, Vietnamese add finely diced mint leaves and green beans to the salad.