1. Add the eggs to a pot of water and boil. Let the eggs boil in the water for 10 minutes after the water begins boiling. Drain the hot water and add cold water to the pot. Then peel the eggs in the cold water. Finally, let the eggs cool.
2. Finely dice and mix the onion, pickle, apple, and hard boiled eggs.
3. Add several tablespoons of pickle broth and the can of peas. If you use frozen peas, let the peas thaw in water and drain the water completely. Frozen peas are firmer than canned peas.
4. Boil the piece of meat in water for two hours. If meat is especially tough, then boil longer. Then dice the meat and add to salad.
5. I peel the potato skin before adding to water. Boil the potatoes until soft. If you can easily pierce the potato with a fork, then the potatoes are ready. The rule of thumb is the salad should be half potatoes and the other half the other ingredients.
6. Add the salad dressing and mix thoroughly. I mix in the potatoes last because they can be mashed and broken down by mixing. The salad should be a slightly watery. Then allow the salad to sit in the refrigerator for six hours or more to let the potatoes absorb the flavors and liquids of the salad.
Tip: This salad is unusual because the pickles, peas, and apple adds the right balance of sour and sweetness to the salad. Salt and pepper is not necessary.
Tip: You can add carrots to the salad. Just peel the carrots and boil in water with the potatoes. Then dice and add to the salad.
Tip: You can use fast pickles for pickles with a more crunch. Let sliced cucumbers sit in a brine of tablespoon salt, 1 part vinegar, and 4 parts water. Cucumbers are ready in four hours after they loose half their size.