1. I place enough of the dry pasta into a pie pan to fill half of it. Pasta usually expands twice its size. Cook and drain spaghetti. Spagetti should be firm.
2. Meanwhile, brown ground beef. Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes, seasonings, hot sauce, and sugar. If you use thick tomato paste, add four cans of water. For a watery tomato paste add two cans of water but you may need to add more tomato paste.
3. Cover and simmer sauce under low heat for an hour.
4. For the cheese layer, mix cottage cheese, eggs, and half the Parmesan cheese.
5. Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well. Make sure you have plenty of sauce.
6. Form the bottom layer of the pie with half the pasta and sauce.
7. Spread the cheese layer evenly over pie as middle layer.
8. The top layer is the remaining pasta and sauce.
9. Bake uncovered at 350° for 15 minutes. Spread mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over top and bake another 10 minutes.
Tip: You can replace cottage cheese with cream cheese. Soften cream cheese by placing cheese in a plastic bag and submerging in hot water. Make sure water does not enter the bag.