1. Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and add the pork or chicken. Add more dry sherry if necessary. Allow the meat to marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a wok over medium heat. Stir-fry marinated pork until golden brown. Add more oil if necessary. Add seasoning sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Remove chicken and sauce.
3. Meanwhile, bring water to boil and add noodles. Cook noodles until sightly firm. Add meat and sauce and mix well. You want the noodles to absorb the sauce.
4. Saute onions in wok until translucent. Add carrots and saute another couple of minutes. We want the carrots still firm. Turn off heat and mix in bean sprouts. Keep mixing. We do not want to cook the bean sprouts. The residual heat will help kill the germs. Finally, add the cucumber.
5. When ready to serve, toss noodles with vegetables. The sauce will darken the vegetables, which is why we keep them separate.
Tip: The original recipe required one cup of oil in the sauce. The sauce is not a gravy. Thus, the sauce and oil will separate. I reduced the oil to make the dish more healthy.